Goto Considered Harmful [was Re: Python and the need for speed]

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 14:09:53 EDT 2017

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 11:14:15 PM UTC+5:30, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> Meyer's "Considered Harmful Essays Considered Harmful" essay is hypocritical
> junk, and should be considered harmful.

Your view.
Here's an alternative.
[Sorry its a vague memory of something I read more than a decade ago that I cant
trace again]
Some unknown Cobol programmer talking about Dijkstra:

Dijkstra used his enormous prestige to destroy Cobol.
We lost a great deal
What did he gain?
Ok so Cobol's control constructs are below par
But do any of its modern successors have its data-describing properties?
[the PIC clause]

Or consider(!) Alan Kay's statement: "Arrogance in computer science is measured
in nanodijktras"
Maybe that's a response to similar violent, unnecessary barbs from Dijkstra?