"Goto" statement in Python

alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 13 07:31:40 EDT 2017

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 01:42:01 +0200, Mikhail V wrote:

> On 12 April 2017 at 02:44, Nathan Ernst <nathan.ernst at gmail.com> wrote:
>> goto is a misunderstood and much misaligned creature. It is a very
>> useful feature, but like nearly any programming construct can be
>> abused.
>>
>> Constructs like 'break', 'continue' or 'next' in languages like Python
>> or C/C++ are goto's with implied labels.
>>
>> As Mikhail said, goto's can be great to break out of nested loops (only
>> a handful of languages support named 'breaks').
>>
>> So, instead of:
>> bool found = false;
>> for (int i = 0; i = ...; ++i)
>> {
>>  for (int h = 0; h = ...; ++h)
>>  {
>>    if (some_condition)
>>      found = true;
>>  }
>>  if (found) break;
>> }
>>
>> You can have:
>>
>> for (int i = 0; i = ...; ++i)
>> {
>>  for (int h = 0; h = ...; ++h)
>>  {
>>    if (some_condition)
>>      goto found;
>>  }
>> }
>> // not found
>>
>> found:
>> // handle found
>>
>> The second is better for a number of reasons: it's clearer. It has
>> fewer variables (smaller stack), it has fewer branches (better for the
>> CPU's branch prediction), and it has fewer instructions (better for CPU
>> instruction cache).  This is a trivial, contrived example, but I've
>> seen more than 4x nested loops using an exit flag like this (at every
>> level of the loops) that could have been replaced with a lot less code.
>>
>> People need to stop drinking "X is considered harmful." Even Dijkstra
>> later lamented that his "Goto considered harmful" paper was
>> misinterpreted and misrepresented as advocating that goto should never
>> be used.
>>
>> Additionally, I'd recommend everyone read '"Considered Harmful" Essays
>> Considered Harmful': http://meyerweb.com/eric/comment/chech.html
>>
>> Regards,
>> Nate
>>

> Here are recent related discussions about exiting from nested loops (at
> least seems to be so):
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2017-March/044932.html
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2017-March/045049.html
>
> I personally have difficulties to fully understand some of the examples
> given in those proposals, namely that proposals were thought for
> other(?) purposes also,
> not only breaking nested loops.
>
> At a first glance it seems to me that "goto" would solve the nested
> breaking problem and in a nice flexible way.
> (correct  me if I am wrong, probably I'm missing something)
>
> So besides nested loops, in my practice I had occasions when I would
> want to use "goto".
> [...]

I expect you could simulate most of these with a custom exception
for example break from nested loop:

class GoTo(Exception):
    pass

try:
    for i in range(100):
        print i
        for j in range (50):
            print j
            if i*j>60:
                raise GoTo
except GoTo:
    print "Exit Early"
print "end of loop"

--
/*
 * Buddy system. Hairy. You really aren't expected to understand this