Moderating the list [was: Python and the need for speed]

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Thu Apr 13 05:31:34 EDT 2017

On 13/04/2017 03:39, Jason Friedman wrote:

>> However, it's simply a technical fact: the thing which we moderate is the
>>> mailing list. We can control which posts make it through from the newsgroup
>>> by blocking them at the gateway. But the posts will continue to appear on
>>> comp.lang.python which is, as the description says, unmoderated.
>>>

>> TJG
>

> Thank you, Tim and Ethan and the other moderators, for performing that
> function.
> It makes the reading experience more pleasant for me.

I looked, for the first time in a long while, at the GG mirror of the
newsgroup. Hadn't realised how much of that really nasty all-caps spam
we were blocking. (We set up some gateway rules when that started to
become a problem so we just don't see it on the mailing list).

Most of the time we're just binning run-of-the-mill spam. Doesn't take
too much effort if you keep on top of it, but it piles up quickly enough
if you leave it for a bit!

TJG