Python and the need for speed

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 10:40:56 EDT 2017

On 04/11/2017 06:38 PM, Paul Rubin wrote:
> Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> writes:
>> If there are now other Python implementations (e.g. MicroPython) with
>> C APIs that differ from CPython, then it seems like it is no longer
>> redundant to say "the CPython API".
>
> Perhaps there should be an attempt to define a unified API like the Java
> JNI, Lisp FFI's, etc.

This is not at all what the CPython API is all about.  The CPython API
is of course for extending Python with or embedding Python in C.

Equivalent to the JNI and Lisp FFI is the CFFI [1].  The JNI, the FFI,
and the CFFI, are all for calling native code from within their
respective languages, if I understand correctly.  They don't define a
standard way for native code to call into these languages.

[1] https://cffi.readthedocs.io/en/latest/