Python and the need for speed

alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 12 05:30:05 EDT 2017

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 16:31:16 -0700, Rick Johnson wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 9:56:45 AM UTC-5, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 07:56 pm, Brecht Machiels wrote:
>> > On 2017-04-11 08:19:31 +0000, Steven D'Aprano said:
>> >
>> > I understand that high performance was never a goal in CPython
>> > development (and Python language design!), but recent events
>> > (DropBox, Google) might help to reconsider that standpoint.
>>
>> *shrug*  It isn't as if high-performance is a requirement for all code.
>
> But given the choice, no prospective "language shopper" is going to
> choose the slower language over a faster language -- at least not from a
> pool of similar languages with similar features (no comparing Python to
> C, please!). So even if you don't need the speed _today_, you may need
> it _tomorrow_. And once you've written a few hundred thousand lines of
> code, well, you're committed to the language you chose yesterday.

but cost is also a factor , not just cost of the tools but cost in time
writing & debugging he software the write.

if they can produce a finished product in half the time with a "slower"
language the speed may not be important (especially when the application
is IO bound & spends 90% of its time idling anyway).

if this were not the case then we would all be writing Assembler

--
I realize that command does have its fascination, even under
circumstances such as these, but I neither enjoy the idea of command