CPython Class variable exposed to Python is altered.

Vincent Vande Vyvre vincent.vande.vyvre at telenet.be
Wed Apr 12 02:57:07 EDT 2017

Hi,

Learning CPython, I've made this simple exercice, a module test which
contains an object Test.

The object Test has an attribute name, fixed at instanciation.

So, I try my code with a script:

from test import Test

for n in ("The name", "Foo", "Spam"):
     t = Test(n)
     print("%s --> %s" %(n, t.name))

And the return:

Uhe name --> Uhe name
Goo --> Goo
Tpam --> Tpam

As we can see, the first letter is changed with the next letter in
alphabetical order, but not only for the attribute name, also for the
reference n.

Same into a console:

(py352_venv) vincent at djoliba:~/CPython/py352_venv/pydcraw$ python
Python 3.5.2 (default, Dec 19 2016, 11:46:33)
[GCC 4.8.4] on linux
 >>> from test import Test
 >>> for n in ("The name", "Foo", "Spam"):
...     t = Test(n)
...     print("%s --> %s" %(n, t.name))
Uhe name --> Uhe name
Goo --> Goo