Mcidas format

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Apr 11 13:26:54 EDT 2017

On 4/11/2017 7:57 AM, jorge.conrado at cptec.inpe.br wrote:

> I have some data from the https://ghrc.nsstc.nasa.gov/hydro/search.pl.
> These data are the Infrared Global Geostationary Composite and
> the format of this is data is Mcidas. Please anyone know how I can read
> this data using Python.

Search 'python mcidas'.  Google's first few responses suggest two
approaches:

1. Python interface to existing mcidas viewers.

2. Mcidas plugin for pillow (image manipulation package) that defines
class McIdasImageFile(ImageFile.ImageFile)
https://github.com/python-pillow/Pillow/blob/master/PIL/McIdasImagePlugin.py
It reads and decodes the 256 byte header and defines attributes needed
for pillow to read the data.  It handles three different mcidas formats.

There appears to be an mcidas user group.

--
Terry Jan Reedy