Moderating the list [was: Python and the need for speed]

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Tue Apr 11 11:25:43 EDT 2017

On 11/04/2017 15:20, breamoreboy at gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 2:32:34 PM UTC+1, Steve D'Aprano
> wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 07:00 pm, breamoreboy wrote:
>>
>>> While we're at it how do we go about changing this
>>> https://www.python.org/community/lists/ which states that
>>> "comp.lang.python is a high-volume Usenet open (not moderated)
>>> newsgroup for general discussions and questions about Python."?
>>
>> Change it to what, and why?
>>
>> As it is, it is correct. comp.lang.python is a high-volume Usenet
>> unmoderated newsgroup for general discussions related to Python.
>>
>> -- Steve “Cheer up,” they said, “things could be worse.” So I
>> cheered up, and sure enough, things got worse.
>

> What exactly do Tim Golden and Ethan Furman moderate on?

We (and the other moderators) exactly moderate the mailing list. I have
no authority over the newsgroup, and I don't know who does.

> You
> can be pedantic about what is a newsgroup, or mailing list, or
> whatever, but to me they're one and the same thing.

This is something which can cause contention as people from either side
(mailing list <-> newsgroup) can be completely unaware that they're
being copied to the other.

However, it's simply a technical fact: the thing which we moderate is
the mailing list. We can control which posts make it through from the
newsgroup by blocking them at the gateway. But the posts will continue
to appear on comp.lang.python which is, as the description says,
unmoderated.

TJG