Quick questions about globals and database connections

John Gordon gordon at panix.com
Wed Apr 5 11:22:02 EDT 2017

In <oc308v$s18$2 at dont-email.me> DFS <nospam at dfs.com> writes:

> I have identical databases in sqlite and postgres.  I want to run the
> same code against them, but am having a small issue.

> Current code below throws the dreaded:

> NameError: global name 'db' is not defined

> on line 12

> How do I fix it?  I want to keep dbconnect() as a separate function.

Instead of trying to make db global, dbconnect() can return the db object:

    def dbconnect(dbtype):
        if dbtype == "sqlite":
            conn = sqlite3.connect(cstr)
        elif dbtype == "postgres":
            conn = psycopg2.connect(cstr)
        return conn.cursor()

    def updatedb(dbtype):
        db = dbconnect(dbtype)
        db.execute("DML code")
        print "updated " + dbtype
        'close connection

It would probably be even better to return conn, as that would allow
updatedb() to call conn.disconnect().

--
John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
gordon at panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears