Data exchange between python script and bash script

justin walters walters.justin01 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 11:42:09 EDT 2017

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 8:01 AM, <venkatachalam.19 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am writing a python code for processing a data obtained from a sensor.
> The data from sensor is obtained by executing a python script. The data
> obtained should be further given to another python module where the
> received data is used for adjusting the location of an object.
>
> For achieving this, there is a central bash script, which runs both the
> python modules parallel. Something like:
>
> python a.py &
> python b.py &
>
> I am trying to return the sensor data to the bash .sh file, therefore it
> can be provided to the other script. This, based on the online tutorials
> looks like:
>
> sensor_data=$(python execute_sensor_process.py) &
>
> and the sensor_data is assigned by printing the required data in the
> corresponding python script. For example, the data is printed in
> execute_sensor_process.py as follows:
>
> print >>sys.stderr,sens_data
>
> By printing the data onto sys.stderr and assigning a return variable in
> the bash, I am expecting the data to be assigned.
>
> But this is not happening. The sensor data is a dictionary and I like to
> have this data for further analysis. I am not getting the data returned
> from the python script on to the bash variable.
>
> Can someone help me to understand why the code is not working? I tried
> other approaches of function call such as
>

> sensor_data=$`python execute_sensor_process.py` &
>

> python execute_sensor_process.py tempfile.txt &
> kinexon_data=`cat tempfile.txt` &
>
> But none of the approaches are working.
>
> Thank you,
> Venkatachalam Srinivasan
> --

I'm not sure why you need the data in a bash script. What can you do with a
bash script that you
can't do with Python?

That said, it seems to me that you need a data persistence layer, i.e. a
way to store the dictionary
after it is created. My best advice would be to use the json module to
write out to json files. I
believe this is the best approach because json has a near 1-to-1 mapping
with Python
dictionaries.

Json is also a good choice because almost every language has a json parser
as part of it's standard
library, making you data extremely portable.