Two variable dictionary comprehension

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Tue Apr 4 02:22:17 EDT 2017

Gregory Ewing wrote, on Monday, April 03, 2017 4:23 PM

> Deborah Swanson wrote:
> > I'd
> > imagine that the old Google would have returned a good 10 pages or
> > more (probably a lot more) of urls containing the phrase "dict
> > comprehension" or "dictionary comprehension".
>
> It still does, as far as I can see. I just googled for "dict
> comprehension", and the vast majority of results in the first
> 10 pages relate to Python.
>
> By page 20 it's starting to wander off a bit, but you can
> hardly blame it for that. There *are* non-Python web pages
> that mention the words "dict" and "comprehension", and how is
> Google to know that you don't want those if you don't tell it?

Yes, I searched on "python dict comprehension" because I'd gottion the
idea somewhere that the "python" was necessary in this Brave New Google
world. I'll remember to omit "python" in the future when searching for
phrases most frequently found in Python. Boolean rules were so much
easier to learn and remember.

> > You used to be able to keep sifting through pages of results after
the
> > bulk of urls fitting your criteria had passed, and still find useful

> > things to look at, sometimes at page 500
>
> Seems to me Google was doing a rather *bad* job if you had
> to wade through 500 pages of results to find what you wanted.
> I would never have the patience to do that!

Well, it helped if you used 100 search results per page and other
various and sundry tools. But patience was good too. It depended how bad
you wanted the answer and how good a skim reader you are. Now I rarely
find anything I want unless I'm shopping for something to buy, but even
then I have to wade through all the garbage results intended to entice
the impulse buyer in me, which I ditched decades ago.

> Anyhow, the reason Google got brought up was that you were
> complaining about difficulty of finding things in the Python
> docs. Google *does* turn up the relevant part of the docs in
> the very first page of results, so being able to do a direct
> text search on the docs wouldn't do any better.

We can duke that out some other time. My illness is overcoming me fast
though, so it won't be right away.

Deborah