Two variable dictionary comprehension

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Mon Apr 3 14:48:38 EDT 2017

Rob Gaddi wrote, on April 03, 2017 10:38 AM

> On 04/03/2017 10:27 AM, Deborah Swanson wrote:
> > Dennis Lee Bieber wrote, on April 03, 2017 9:35 AM
> >>
> >> On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 07:30:40 -0700, "Deborah Swanson"
> >> <python at deborahswanson.net> declaimed the following:

Maybe it

> >> 	On Windows, the (at least, for ActiveState releases)
documentation
> >> is available in Windows Help format -- though I'll admit the "free
> >> text search" leaves a lot to be desired...
> >>
> >> 	"dict comprehension" didn't find anything obvious; "dictionary
> >> comprehension" brought up PEP 274 (note: I still use 2.7 as main
> >> version).
> >>
> >> -=-=-=-=-=-
> >> Semantics
> >>     The semantics of dict comprehensions can actually be
demonstrated
> >>     in stock Python 2.2, by passing a list comprehension to the
> >>     builtin dictionary constructor:
> >>
> >>     >>> dict([(i, chr(65+i)) for i in range(4)])
> >>
> >>     is semantically equivalent to
> >>
> >>     >>> {i : chr(65+i) for i in range(4)}
> >>
> >>     The dictionary constructor approach has two dictinct
disadvantages
> >>     from the proposed syntax though.  First, it isn't as legible as
> >>     dict comprehension.  Second, it forces the programmer to create
an
> >>     in-core list object first, which could be expensive.
> >>
> >> -=-=-=-=-=-
> >> --
> >> 	Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
> >>     wlfraed at ix.netcom.com    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
> >
> > It would be interesting to play around with different list
> > comprehensions than the one they've shown.
> >
> > I'll admit that both dictionaries and comprehensions are still a
> > little bit fuzzy to me, especially when I get away from the common
> > usages. This could be a good exercise to clarify some of the fuzzy
> > areas.
> >
> > Deborah
> >

> And don't forget
>    dict_comp : { k:v for (k,v) in kv_provider }
>    set_comp : { item for item in item_provider }
>    set_of_tuples_comp : { (k,v) for (k,v) in kv_provider }
>
> Just to make things more complicated.
>
> --
> Rob Gaddi, Highland Technology -- www.highlandtechnology.com
> Email address domain is currently out of order.  See above to fix.

Added to my list of comprehension types, thank you.

I'm thinking it would also be good to include the PEPs in my searchable
Python reference. Just making the collection and browsing through it
would be highly instructive.

But, if Larry Page and Sergey Brin could tinker around in their dorm
rooms (or wherever they lived then) and they made the first Google (the
first search engine?) to boolean search the World Wide Web, it shouldn't
be so awfully hard to make a collection of Python docs that's boolean
searchable.

I haven't seen a search method for text that comes anywhere near boolean
search's completeness in returning results (though I'm happy to take
suggestions).

Deborah