Text-mode apps (Was :Who are the "spacists"?)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Apr 2 18:31:09 EDT 2017

On 4/2/2017 12:26 PM, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 04:41 pm, Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>> On 4/1/2017 12:00 PM, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
>>
>>> example of the Ugly American.
>>
>> As an American I resent your promotion and perpetuation of an ugly
>> ethno-centric stereotype.
>
> I'm glad you didn't try to describe it as a *unfair* or *unjustified*

I refrained because it would be off-topic and a diversion from my point:
all bigotry is inappropriate here on this list, including anti-Americanism.

(I actually think raw bigoty is inappropriate everywhere.  While there
are places to discuss the relative average beauty and niceness of
various groups of people, this is not one of them.  Even comparisons of
computer languages is not the main focus of this list.)

> stereotype, because (let's face it) after November 8th 2016, that simply
> wouldn't fly.

The 'Ugly American' meme is at least 60 years old.  National bigotry is
as old as nations.

Yesterday, Chris Angelico, I believe it was, asked someone to stop
including anti-Jew messages in posts here.  So I asked the same of you
regarding your anti-American expression.

> Not all Americans, perhaps not even a majority or a plurality, are Ugly
> Americans, but there are enough of them to screw it up for everyone else.

Shall we discuss Ugly Australians, or whatever the appropriate epithet
would be?

> It's an ugly stereotype, not because it is a stereotype, but because it
 > embodies a set of ugly attitudes and behaviours.

I am sure I have seen similar things written by various other people
justifying their prejudices.

--
Terry Jan Reedy