Using the Windows "embedded" distribution of Python

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 09:13:39 EDT 2016

On Friday, 30 September 2016 12:50:45 UTC+1, eryk sun  wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Paul  Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> > When I run ssh.exe, it fails with the message "The program cannot start because
> > python3.dll is missing from your computer". I tried running it with sxstrace active,
> > but the resulting log file is empty.
>
> A manifest embedded in "ssh.exe" takes precedence over
> "ssh.exe.manifest". Check for an embedded manifest:
>
>     mt -inputresource:ssh.exe -out:con >nul

I didn't think there was one, but when I looked, there is. I must have added it in my experimentation. Sadly, it's the same as the external one, so that shouldn't be a problem.

> Also, manifests get cached (probably by SuperFetch), so when you make
> a change you generally need to recompile or change the filename.

Ah, looks like that was the issue. Renaming the file fixed it. (As did just touching the file to update the timestamp). Caches are great, I guess, but they sure make debugging an adventure!

I think I now have a working solution. And I've *definitely* learned a huge amount.

Thanks again for the help.
Paul