Any ReST aware editors?

jkn jkn_gg at nicorp.f9.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 07:48:44 EDT 2016

Hi Steve

On Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 12:13:16 PM UTC+1, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> I have editors which will use syntax highlighting on .rst files, but I'm
> hoping for something a bit smarter.
>
> What I'd like is an editor with a split window, one side showing the rst
> that I can edit, the other side showing the formatted text updated as I
> type. (Or at least, updated every thirty seconds or so.)
>
> Anybody know anything like that?

I am not certain, but I am pretty sure that the Leo 'outlining' editor (written in Python) allows you to do just that, via its 'viewrendered' plugin.

Leo is an extremely capable editor which can work in a 'scripts + data' manner; you can write 'code as data' and intersperse this with Python code which acts on the data. FWIW this brief description barely begins to scratch the surface....

Leo is cross-platform and open source; its main developer, Ed Ream, is very responsive to suggestions and feedback

http://leoeditor.com/

There is also a 'leo-editor' Google Groups

    HTH
    Jon N