get the sum of differences between integers in a list

Daiyue Weng daiyueweng at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 10:13:38 EDT 2016

Hi, first of all, let me rephase the problem.

For an arbitrary list of integers (the integers in the list are not
necessary to be sequential), e.g. [1,2,3,6,8,9,10,11,13],

if a set of consecutive integers having a difference of 1 between them, put
them in a list, i.e. there are two such lists in this example,

[1,2,3],

[8,9,10,11],

and then put such lists in another list (i.e. [[1,2,3], [8,9,10,11]]). Put
the rest integers (non-sequential) in a separated list, i.e.

`[6, 13]`.

Note that, the problem only considers sequential integers with step_size =
1.

I tried to use itertools.groupby and itertools.count,

from itertools import groupby, count
lst = [1,2,3,6,8,9,10,11,13]
c = count()
result = [list(g) for i, g in groupby(lst, key=lambda x: x-next(c))]

but the result is close to the requirement shown as a list of lists,

[[1, 2, 3], [6], [8, 9, 10, 11], [13]]

but it didn't separate sequential lists from non-sequential ones.
Also, I couldn't find a way to put [6] and [13] in a single list.

I have also tried to separate sequential lists from non-sequential ones,

result = [list(g) for i, g in groupby(lst, key=lambda x: x-next(c) == 1)] #
tried to extract [1,2,3] and [8,9,10,11] from the list

or

result = [list(g) for i, g in groupby(lst, key=lambda x: x-next(c) > 1)] #
tried to extract [6] and [13] from the list

but they all ended up with

[[1, 2, 3], [6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13]]

So two questions here,

1. How does itertools.groupby key function work in my case?

2. How to improve the program to achieve my goals?

Many thanks