Idiomatic code validator?

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Tue Sep 20 20:16:05 EDT 2016

On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 01:41 am, Tim Johnson wrote:

> Not to confuse idiomatic code validation with pep8 validation (I use
> elpy on emacs)
>
> Is there such a thing as a validator for _idiomatic_ code?

Yes, it is called a linter. There are various linters available:

pylint, pychecker, jedi, flake

there may be others. Depending on how good the linter is, they will do
things like flag unused arguments, dead code, use of deprecated features,
and so forth. Some of them may be very opinionated, e.g. flag uses of map()
as unidiomatic and recommend a list comprehension instead. Whether you
agree with that opinion or not is up to you.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.