Idiomatic code validator?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Sep 20 15:43:18 EDT 2016

On 9/20/2016 11:41 AM, Tim Johnson wrote:
> Not to confuse idiomatic code validation with pep8 validation

Strictly speaking, there cannot be a mechanical PEP 8 validator, as any
mechanical checker violates the admonitions of the beginning sections
'Introductions' and 'A Foolish Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Little
Minds'.  For this reason, the core developers request the author of the
checker formerly known as 'pep8' to change its name, which he did.

> Is there such a thing as a validator for _idiomatic_ code?

What would such a thing do?  Flag supposedly non-idiomatic code?  Or
mark code recognized as 'idiomatic', with no implication either way
about other code?

> I have Knupp's "Writing Idiomatic Python" and have bookmarked some
> advisory websites that illustrate idiomatic style.

Do they all agree on 'idiomatic'?  I am sure that the long-time frequent
contributors on python list do not.

--
Terry Jan Reedy