Official Python documentation lookup while programming (was: Is the content available in the html doc available in help()?)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Sep 17 21:25:15 EDT 2016

Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I want to get the same content as the html doc from help().

That's not what the ‘help’ function does, so I don't think that's
feasible.

Moreover, the Python interpreter does not have any notion of where the
HTML documentation is stored, nor how to access it, nor how to present
it.

So no, a Python interactive prompt does not natively have a way to do
what you're asking.

What you may like is to get your programming environment to present the
official Python documentation as part of that environment.

For example, the documentation is rendered to GNU Info format and
available to install from <URL:https://github.com/politza/python-info>,
which makes it immediately available in Info readers, such as the one
native to Emacs.

--
 \           “If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, |
  `\     because maybe you'll look like a dummy and people will try to |