Oh gods can we get any more off-topic *wink* [was Re: [Python-ideas] Inconsistencies]

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Sep 16 02:08:37 EDT 2016

Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> It is actually quite interesting how the brain forms an accurate idea of
> a straight line and, say, a circle. Whenever you get a new pair of
> glasses, the brain needs a recalibration and manages to do it within a
> week.

I had an interesting experience in that area a few years
ago. One of the entries in the PyWeek[1] game programming
competition was a platform game set on the inside of a
circular world. You saw a small part of the world at
a time side-on, with the ground curving up slightly
to the left and right.

After playing for a while, my brain must have trained
itself to see the curved ground as straight, because
when I looked away, all horizontal straight lines
looked like they were curved *downwards* slightly!

[1] A competition for Python-based games, so getting
a bit closer to being back on-topic.

--
Greg