Oh gods can we get any more off-topic *wink* [was Re: [Python-ideas] Inconsistencies]

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Wed Sep 14 23:12:28 EDT 2016

On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 11:44 am, Lawrence D’Oliveiro wrote:

> On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 1:26:49 PM UTC+12, Chris Kaynor wrote:
>> If you find somebody determined to not trust evidence such as the blue
>> marble photos, it can be quite hard to prove that the world is not flat.
>
> A flat world doesn’t have a horizon.

Yes it does. Even an infinitely large flat plane has a horizon almost
identical to the actual horizon.

http://www.askamathematician.com/2012/08/q-if-earth-was-flat-would-there-be-the-horizon-if-so-what-would-it-look-like-if-the-earth-was-flat-and-had-infinite-area-would-that-change-the-answer/

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=385334

In fact, Flat Earthers consider the flat horizon evidence for a flat Earth:

http://www.atlanteanconspiracy.com/2015/01/flat-earth-horizon.html

Relevant:

https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/flat/flateart.htm

(To answer my rhetorical question in the subject header: yes, apparently we
can.)

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.