PEP 492: isn't the "await" redundant?

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Fri Sep 9 08:27:31 EDT 2016

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 07:28 pm, Chris Angelico wrote:

> We don't
> have a problem with threading and multiprocessing having very similar
> APIs, do we? Yet they exist to solve distinctly different problems.

Surely not?

I would think that threading and multiprocessing are two distinct
implementations of the same problem: how to run two or more chunks of code
at the same time.

In CPython we usually say "use threads for I/O bound tasks, processes for
CPU bound tasks" but that's only because of the GIL. One doesn't need such
a distinction in Jython or IronPython.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.