Is it possible to process dist files before they are build via a setuptools hook?

Mark Summerfield list at qtrac.plus.com
Fri Sep 9 03:52:19 EDT 2016

Hi,

I use setuptools (in my case with cx_Freeze) to package some of my Python applications.

As part of this process a build\exe.win-amd64-3.4 dir is created with all the necessary files, and then a separate dist\ dir is created with the distributable package (e.g., a .msi file).

I'd like to run UPX https://upx.github.io/ on all the .dll, .py, and .exe files in the build dir _before_ they are put into the distributable package.

So, I need to have some hook that lets me run a python script after the build dir has been populated but before the distributable is made -- is this possible?

Thanks.