What you can do about legalese nonsense on email (was: How to split value where is comma ?)

Jussi Piitulainen jussi.piitulainen at helsinki.fi
Fri Sep 9 01:39:26 EDT 2016

Grant Edwards writes:

> On 2016-09-08, Joaquin Alzola <Joaquin.Alzola at lebara.com> wrote:
>
>> Basically what all comes down is to complain. I wonder if in a
>> company of 80,000 people I will manage to change that behaviour.
>
> Perhaps others have complained. If enough people complain, maybe
> they'll do something.
>
> After all, that boilerplate just makes the corporation look stupid and
> incompetent.  Any email that leaves the corporate network must be
> assumed to be visible to world+dog.  Anybody who thinks differently is
> deluded and should not be allowed access to information that is
> "confidential and subject to privledge".

I read Lebara's "Vision" and "Mission" and I remember that whenever
Lebara says anything, they end it with that rude disclaimer. I don't
want to get in touch with Lebara. That's how stupid it is.

> But, I'm sure there's a lawyer somewhere who's trying to cover his
> ass regardless of how foolish it looks...

As if Lebara's real mission is to cover their lawyers' asses.

>> This email is confidential and may be subject to privilege. If you
>> are not the intended recipient, please do not copy or disclose its
>> content but contact the sender immediately upon receipt.

Spammers should use a disclaimer like that. Then people would not dare
to delete the spam without first confirming to the spammer that they
read their spam. Or not.