Python 3 curiosity.

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 12:27:40 EDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 2:13 AM, Wildman via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Sep 2016 02:51:39 -0700, wxjmfauth wrote:
>
>> It's curious to see all these apps, that were
>> more of less working correctly up to Python 3.2
>> (included) and are now no more working at all.
>>
>> Probably something wrong somewhere...
>
> http://sebastianraschka.com/Articles/2014_python_2_3_key_diff.html

That's jmf, and he never actually posts proof, but keeps on asserting
that Unicode handling in Python 3.3+ is "broken". Actually, it's not.
The worst criticism you can level at it is that it may be slower in
certain microbenchmarks... but only if you're comparing against a
*narrow build* of Python 3.2, which is *buggy*. In other words, Python
eliminated an endemic bug, and actually improved performance overall,
but worsened it on a very VERY few cases.

Most of us have either killfiled him, or are reading this via the
mailing list, which doesn't carry his traffic. I suggest you do the
same. He's a crank.

ChrisA