The Joys Of Data-Driven Programming

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Sep 1 03:24:11 EDT 2016

Paul Moore wrote:
> Is there any "make replacement"
> out there that focuses more on named sets of actions (maybe with
> prerequisite/successor type interdependencies), and less on building file
> dependency graphs?

Possibly Gradle might qualify. I only have a hazy
understanding of it (basically just what I was forced to
learn for Minecraft modding) but it seems to be based
on "tasks" that can have prerequisites.

This seems to work okay in the context of Java, where
the usual practice seems to be to throw all your source
files at the compiler and let it churn away, rather
than try to figure out exactly which files need
compiling -- which is hard to do for Java based on
timestamps alone, and since the compiler is pretty
fast, probably not worth the effort.

--
Greg