[OT] Altair

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Sep 1 03:06:37 EDT 2016

Grant Edwards wrote:

> The file containing the list of coordinates generated by a CAD program
> for holes in a circuit board is still often referred to as a "drill
> tape".

Yep, and we talk about "core" memory, use a "tape archive"
program to produce compressed files, and have "drives"
with no moving parts. Terminological fossils abound!

(When I first heard the term "core" used to refer to
RAM, I thought it just meant that it was a central part
of the machine... until I realised it was actually
talking about those little magnetic doughnuts!)

(And I suppose a "core dump" is what would happen if
any of the fragile little wires broke...)

--
Greg