pip3 : command not found

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Mon Oct 31 06:55:23 EDT 2016

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 07:21 pm, Jon Ribbens wrote:

> On 2016-10-31, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> Instead, you should invoke the exact Python interpreter you want – and,
>> by extension, the Python environment into which you want packages
>> installed.
>>
>>     $ /foo/bar/virtualenv/bin/python3 -m pip install LoremIpsum
>
> I'm slightly curious about that. /foo/bar/virtualenv/bin/python3
> will just be a symbolic link to /usr/bin/python3, so how does
> invoking the intepreter that way make any difference?

It doesn't. If you read the rest of Ben's post, or for that matter the
subject line of this thread, you will see he is comparing:

    path/to/python3 -m pip install LoremIpsum

against:

    pip3 install LoremIpsum

not a direct path to the executable versus a symbolic link to the
executable. The problem here is the "pip3" command, which does not exist.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.