Why doesn't Python include non-blocking keyboard input function?

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Thu Oct 27 06:42:25 EDT 2016

Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu>:
> Do people on Linux still commonly use full-screen, no window text
> editors like the one I had?

I occasionally switch on one of the alternate VTs, which are not running
any GUI.

However, I constantly use -- in fact, as I type, I'm using -- a program
running in a PTY environment. IOW, the program "thinks" it's running on
a dedicated text-only terminal. The news program (GNUS/emacs in my case)
is not conscious of pixels, keycodes or the mouse. I must use keyboard
commands to navigate.

> On Windows, there are full screen games, but I have never seen a
> full-screen, no-window text application.

As I'm typing, I have two other, unrelated windows on the screen. I'm
using LXDE, which is a classical GUI environment.

It is my understanding that both Windows and Gnome are moving to a
de-facto full-screen GUI. The GUI strongly prefers you opening windows
in full-screen mode.

Marko