System-wide module path

Rob Gaddi rgaddi at highlandtechnology.invalid
Mon Oct 24 19:49:42 EDT 2016

On a Linux (Ubuntu) system, with no concerns for Python < 3.4, how do I
  a) Add a directory to the system-wide (rather than per-user) module
path?
  b) Tell pip that I would like to install a given module to there.

What's going on is that we're trying to set up an internal software
distribution system to make sure that internally-written software gets
installed on a bunch of identical machines. The easiest mechanism to
work with in all of this is a single directory on the server that can
simply be rsync'd to all of the target machines.  So if I could do my
installs to /usr/highland/python3.4/site-packages, and put all the
executable stubs that pip creates into /usr/highland/bin, then I can
just rsync all of /usr/highland.