[FAQ] "Best" GUI toolkit for python

Mark Summerfield list at qtrac.plus.com
Thu Oct 20 03:35:14 EDT 2016

On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 7:18:28 PM UTC+1, Demosthenes Koptsis wrote:
> I thought PyQt was supported by Qt company...
>
> There is also an official book by Prentice Hall:
>
> Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt (Prentice Hall Open Source
> Software Development)
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Programming-Python-Prentice-Software-Development/dp/0132354187/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476901015&sr=8-1&keywords=rapid+qt+python
>
> Inside the book the apps are been developed in PyQt
>
> Regards,
> Dim
>
> On 10/19/2016 03:49 PM, Mark Summerfield wrote:
> > On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 9:09:46 PM UTC+1, Demosthenes Koptsis wrote:
> >> My favorite GUIs are PyQt and wxPython.
> >>
> >> I prefer PyQt than PySide because PySide seem to me like an abandoned
> >> project.
> > [snip]
> >
> > It does seem that PySide 1 isn't making any visible progress.
> >
> > However, PySide 2 for Qt 5 is indeed progressing, and is being funded by The Qt Company: https://wiki.qt.io/PySide2

I wrote that book and it was 'official' in the sense that PyQt's creator & maintainer Phil Thompson did technical review & helped. However, PyQt has never been an official Qt product (not Trolltech, nor Nokia, nor The Qt Company); in fact Trolltech never even approved of PyQt.

The only official Qt bindings for Python will be PySide2. PySide1 was funded by Nokia and so that was also official, but that funding stopped and so I guess PySide1 is in limbo. (However, it works well and I use it for both personal and commercial projects.)