How to overlay data points on a static google image?

Madhavan Bomidi blmadhavan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 06:31:29 EDT 2016

Hello everyone,

I have been using IDL for making plots until recently and currently transitioning to Python programming. I have a task to obtain a static google image for my region of interest and then overlay the variable frequency counts at different lat-long coordinates. While I have succeeded in plotting the frequency counts with lat-lon coordinates without the google static image as background. I really don't know how to obtain the google static image for a region of interest = (10.0 - 50.0 N, 50.0 - 100.0 E) in Python? How can I overlay the data points onto the same?

For an example, I am actually looking for something as shown in the following link (for IDL): http://www.idlcoyote.com/ng_tips/mapnogrid.php

Look forward to your help,
With best regards,
Madhavan