TCL/TK as default UI toolkit, and wayland

Chris Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 09:04:52 EDT 2016

On 14 October 2016 at 13:40, kerbingamer376 <martinjp376 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Python's "standard" (and bundled on most platforms) UI tookkit is TCL/TK. However, this has A LOT of drawbacks:
>
> * It's eyesore on a lot of platforms
> * It's non-pythonic
> * It just flat out fails on some desktop environments
> * On linux it requires X, however lots of distros are now using wayland
> and so on.
>
> I think python needs a new "standard" UI toolkit.
> --

Okay. What else do you suggest?

* PyQt/PySide requires massive Qt packages, and has licensing issues.
* GTK looks bad outside of GNOME.
* wxPython claims to be back to development, but it wasn’t for the past 2 years.
* Kivy doesn’t even try to feel native anywhere.

I think we’ve just run out of reasonable cross-platform GUI libraries
for Python… You are free to use any of those four, though (or anything
less cross-platform). You don’t have to use Tkinter if you don’t like
it. And it’s not a hard requirement on many Linux distributions.

PGP: 5EAAEA16