Without compilation, how to find bugs?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 19:38:59 EDT 2016

On 2016-10-13, pozz <pozzugno at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, I think the language interpreter could emit the error before
> launching the script even without executing the wrong instruction,
> because it perfectly knows how many arguments the function wants and
> that one instruction calls it with a wrong number of arguments.
>
> Are the things exactly how I understood, or do I miss something in Python?

Python is a dynamic language, and it turns out it's very difficult to
know for sure, using static code analysis, at compiler time, what
function a name is going to be bound to at any particular point at run
time.

That said, there is pylint which does try to do as much static error
checking as possible.

<https://www.pylint.org/https://www.pylint.org/>

--
Grant