How to process syntax errors

mr.puneet.goyal at gmail.com mr.puneet.goyal at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 05:59:59 EDT 2016

Hi All

Its really good to see that some discussion happening around this topic. Sorry I was out from my work for sometime so couldn't follow up but I really find it useful. It gives me good opportunity to know python better as I recently started learning python.

Ok so I tell you why I need to catch syntax error during compilation and process them. See below example,

# I created a platform class with different method in a file and making it as a package.
class platform:
    def connect(self):
        # connect device
    def destroy(self):
        # destroy device
    def config(self, command):
        # Send command to configure device
    def show(self, command):
        # check device health

Now person who wants to write a script using above package can simply use below approach. Which does not make him to have knowledge in python.

DUT = platform()
DUT connect
DUT config {commands}
DUT show {commands}
DUT destroy

But I know this is not easy to do in python. As they all invalid syntax for python language. So I thought of grabing syntax errors and manipulate them as below internally to call them while code is compiling.

DUT = platform()
DUT.connect()
DUT.config(commands)
DUT.show(commands)
DUT.destroy()

Hope you understand my need of doing this. If there is another solution to achieve what I am trying to. Please let me know.

Thanks, Puneet