Python-based monads essay (Re: Assignment versus binding)

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Oct 12 01:14:59 EDT 2016

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Also if this operation is what it looks like, it's usually called
> "bind".  seq is something else entirely.

Ah, I hadn't realised there was already a function in
Haskell called seq -- sorry about that!

I don't really want to call the Python version 'bind',
because it seems a bit obscure. Also, the way I'm using
it there, it's not actually binding anything (it
corresponds to >> rather than >>=), so calling it
'bind' would just confuse matters.

I'll see if I can come up with a better name for it
that doesn't clash with anything.

--
Greg