Python code is compiled before execution

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Tue Oct 11 15:03:05 EDT 2016

On 11/10/2016 18:14, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 12:19 am, BartC wrote:
>
>> Python is not really suited for AOT native-code compilation.
>
> You might be right, but the author of Nuitka disagrees.
>
> http://nuitka.net/

I tried the same thing with a dynamic language: translating byte-code
into a series of function calls in a compiled language. So it wasn't
really compiling to proper native code; the native code still had to
deal with the byte-code rather than do the work directly.

It didn't really work: I saved the minor overheads of byte-code
dispatching, but it ended up being slower than byte-code. (Perhaps to do
with worse cache performance and fewer inlining opportunities.)

 From looking at the overview in that link, it might be taking a similar
approach. But maybe CPython dispatch overheads are higher, or maybe it
just does a better job!

--
Bartc