SyntaxError: multiple statements found while compiling a single statement

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 02:51:14 EDT 2016

On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 12:12:06 PM UTC+5:30, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 02:51 pm, Cai Gengyang wrote:
>
> > I defined both done and pygame in this piece of code, but now i get a new
> > error that i have never seen before, an AttributeError
>
> AttributeError usually means you have the wrong kind of object:
>
> py> mylist = {}  # oops, a dict not a list
> py> mylist.append(1)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> AttributeError: 'dict' object has no attribute 'append'
>

> or sometimes you have the right object but misspelled the attribute or
> method:
>
> py> mylist = []
> py> mylist.apend(1)  # oops, spelling error
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'apend'
> py> mylist.append(1)
> py> print(mylist)
> [1]

> Why have you defined pygame = True? Is that what the code on the website
> does?
>
> My guess is that you are supposed to say:
>
> import pygame
>

> Why don't you try my suggestion of saving the code into a .py file, then
> using the File > Open command to open it?

One meta-suggestion:
It may be that with python you can go further in less time than with
older languages like C++, Java etc.

But less time doesn’t mean no time — You still need to learn, to walk the
learning curve

In short: Dont skimp on the tutorial: https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/
even (especially) if you find the examples uninteresting/irrelevant