BeautifulSoup help !!

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 13:12:27 EDT 2016

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 3:38 AM, Steve D'Aprano
<steve+python at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 03:00 am, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> You are asking
>> for assistance with something that was assigned to you *as a
>> recruitment task*. Were you told that asking for help was a legitimate
>> solution?
>
> Why should he need to be told that? Asking for help *is* a legitimate
> solution, just as legitimate as Reading The Fine Manual, searching on
> Google, asking your work peers for mentoring, or doing a training course.

Let me clarify a bit.

Is "asking someone else to write your code" acceptable? I would say
no, in the same way that getting someone else to do your job interview
for you is inappropriate.

You're right, though, "asking for help" was too broad a description
for the situation. Apologies to the OP; of course you can ask
questions and get help. You just need to figure out where the
boundaries are between "stuff you know and are being hired for",
"stuff you don't know and are being hired for, and are learning on the
job", and "stuff you don't know and don't need to know, and can get
someone else to do for you". The boundary between the first two is not
overly important, but if there's not much in the first category,
you're going to be very much in over your head. It's the boundary
between the latter two that's more important, and which determines the
kind of help you're asking for.

But please don't accuse us of "trolling around" when you're asked this
kind of thing.

ChrisA