Assignment versus binding

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Wed Oct 5 09:34:48 EDT 2016

On 05/10/2016 14:13, Rustom Mody wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 4:24:01 PM UTC+5:30, BartC wrote:
>> On 05/10/2016 11:03, Ben Bacarisse wrote:

>>> spam io = do x <- io;
>>>              print x;
>>>              x <- io;
>>>              print (x+1)
>>
>> (I downloaded Haskell (ghc) yesterday to try this out. First problem was
>> that I couldn't figure out how to do two things one after another
>> (apparently you need 'do').
>>
>> And when I tried to use a random number function in an expression to see
>> if it was evaluated once or twice, apparently my installation doesn't
>> have any form of random() (despite being a monstrous 1700MB with 20,000
>> files).
>
> In general this may be true.
> In general you need to use cabal or stack in haskell-world like you use
> pip in python world to get what stuff you need
>
> However for Random it seems to be part of System:
> https://hackage.haskell.org/package/random-1.1/docs/System-Random.html
>

> Here’s a session just blindly following
> https://www.schoolofhaskell.com/school/starting-with-haskell/libraries-and-frameworks/randoms
>
> $ ghci
> GHCi, version 7.10.3: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
> Prelude> import System.Random

That's the one it can't find. Actually it can't seem to import any
standard libraries, so the implementation must be screwed up.

Or is it because I downloaded the Minimal** rather Full version? The
minimal version is already 1.7GB! Can it really be that big and yet not
include such basic stuff? If so, what on earth is taking up all the
space! (The full version was 10-15% bigger.)

(**
https://downloads.haskell.org/~platform/8.0.1/HaskellPlatform-8.0.1-minimal-x86_64-setup-a.exe)

--
Bartc