Is that forwards first or backwards first? (Re: unintuitive for-loop behavior)

alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 3 08:27:41 EDT 2016

On Mon, 03 Oct 2016 22:10:52 +1300, Gregory Ewing wrote:

> Rustom Mody wrote:
>> My new car goes in reverse when I put it in first gear but only on
>> full-moon nights with the tank on reserve when the left light is
>> blinking
>
> OT aside: When I went to take my current car (a manual) for a test
> drive, I had to stop and ask the dealer how to put it into reverse.
>
> Turns out the only difference between first and reverse on that model is
> whether you lift up a little ring on the shaft of the gear lever prior
> to engagement.
>
> Who came up with *that* brilliant piece of user interface design I don't
> know. It seems specifically designed to encourage velocity sign errors
> when starting off...

that sounds like typical Vauxhall & i never found it an issue when i had
one

.
unlike my current car which supposedly requires extra force to move
across the gate to reverse. I constantly find that it selects reverse
without effort when not required, but goes into 1st when trying to select
reverse.

--
The Hollywood tradition I like best is called "sucking up to the stars."
		-- Johnny Carson