Learning python data types

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 22:31:02 EDT 2016

On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 3:38:24 AM UTC+5:30, Crane Ugly wrote:
> I am not new in scripting in general.
> And about a year I create scripts in python, but my approach was always based on my habits from UNIX shell, where data types are not obvious.
> Going deeper with python I see necessity to know better data types, differences between them and most importantly when one data type if better then the other, with life examples.
> Unfortunately, books I've see so far describe data types in very formal way and without taking into account day-to-day practical aspects.
> For example in my practice data rarely hardcoded in the program code and come from files, streams or generated in the program. How to put them together for better processing?
> I need some good examples of books or web articles, that can describe language from data processing perspective, not just academical explanations of when language is.
>
> Leonid

Yes this is a real need and very badly satisfied at the moment

- Language texts are language centered — mostly what you'll get out here
- Data Structure texts tend to emphasize storage structures — eg
  ‘linked-lists’ — rather than data structures eg sets, bags, lists and their
  complementary semantics
- And the academic texts are too academic/theoretical

Something I had written [Sorry! very much in the 3rd category!!] nearly two decades ago:
http://cs.unipune.ac.in/admin/obx/hod/course.pdf
particularly the Intro to programming, discrete structures and data structures
syllabi