Copying a compiled Python from one system to another

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 01:02:46 EDT 2016

On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 3:25 PM, Steve D'Aprano
<steve+python at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 01:58 pm, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>> Hmm, I've possibly missed something here, which may indicate a
>> problem. Why can't your existing machines build? Is it because they
>> have too-old versions of tools, and if so, which?
>
> Yes, this. You need gcc 4.8 or better to build CPython 3.6, and the most
> recent any of my systems support is 4.4.

In itself not a problem, but you might find that libc is an
incompatibly different version, which would be a pain.

But, give it a try. Worst case, it fails with a linker error straight
away. (And you MAY be able to just copy in some libraries from the
other system.)

ChrisA