Copying a compiled Python from one system to another

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Sat Oct 1 07:21:34 EDT 2016

Long story short: I have no working systems capable of compiling the latest
Python 3.6, and no time to upgrade my usual machines to something which
will work.

However I do have access to another machine (actually a VM) which can
compile Python 3.6. It's not practical for me to use it as a my main
development machine, but as a temporary measure, I thought I could compile
3.6 on this VM, then copy the python binary to my usual desktop machine.

What sort of challenges am I likely to find? Both machines are Linux, but
different distros.

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.