Python while loop

John Gordon gordon at panix.com
Wed Nov 30 11:23:57 EST 2016

In <0c642381-4dd2-48c5-bb22-b38f2d5b2b4a at googlegroups.com> paul.garcia2345 at gmail.com writes:

> Write a program which prints the sum of numbers from 1 to 101
> (1 and 101 are included) that are divisible by 5 (Use while loop)

> x=0
> count=0
> while x<=100:
>     if x%5==0:
>         count=count+x
>     x=x+1
> print(count)
>

> Question: How does python know what count means?

"count" is an english word meaning "how many things do I have?", but python
doesn't know that.  In python, "count" is just a name; you could have
called it "hamburger" and python would treat it just the same.

--
John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
gordon at panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears