Asyncio -- delayed calculation

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Tue Nov 29 02:20:01 EST 2016

Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz>:
> All the terminology around async/await is inherently confusing and
> counterintuitive, IMO. I'm disappointed that we've ended up here.

I think the conceptual mess can be clarified over time. Coroutines are
essentially threads. Why Python needs two threading implementations is
questionable. At least, with threads, you don't have to remember to tag
your function definitions with "async" and your functions calls with
"await".

Both threads and now coroutines were introduced as fig leafs to cover
the underlying finite state machines. Personally, I think it is a
mistake to hide the state machines. Instead, people should learn to
think in terms of state machines, which is the classic network protocol
model.

Marko