Asyncio -- delayed calculation

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Nov 28 23:16:48 EST 2016

Chris Angelico wrote:
> "await" means "don't continue this function until that's done". It
> blocks the function until a non-blocking operation is done.

However, *not* using 'await' doesn't mean the operation
will be done without blocking. Rather, it won't be done
at all (and is usually an error, but there's no way for
the implementation to detect it at the time).

I don't blame Steve for being confused. All the
terminology around async/await is inherently confusing
and counterintuitive, IMO. I'm disappointed that we've
ended up here.

--
Greg