dictionary mutability, hashability, __eq__, __hash__

Veek M vek.m1234 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 10:28:57 EST 2016

Jussi Piitulainen wrote:

> Veek M writes:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Also if one can do x.a = 10 or 20 or whatever, and the class instance
>> is mutable, then why do books keep stating that keys need to be
>> immutable?  After all, __hash__ is the guy doing all the work and
>> maintaining consistency for us. One could do:
>>
>> class Fruit:
>>   editable_value = ''
>> def __hash__(self):
>>  if 'apple' in self.value:
>>    return 10
>>  elif 'banana' in self.value:
>>    return 20
>>

>>  and use 'apple' 'bannana' as keys for whatever mutable data..
>> Are the books wrong?
>
> The hash does not do all the work, and the underlying implementation
> of a dictionary does not react appropriately to a key changing its
> hash value. You could experiment further to see for yourself.
>
> Here's a demonstration that Python's dictionary retains both keys
> after they are mutated so that they become equal, yet finds neither
> key (because they are not physically where their new hash value
> indicates).
>
> I edited your class so that its methods manipulate an attribute that
> it actually has, all hash values are integers, constructor takes an
> initial value, objects are equal if their values are equal, and the
> written representation of an object shows the value (I forgot quotes).
>
> test = { Fruit('apple') : 'one', Fruit('orange') : 'two' }
>
> print(test)
> print(test[Fruit('orange')])
> # prints:
> # {Fruit(apple): 'one', Fruit(orange): 'two'}
> # two
>
> for key in test: key.value = 'banana'
>
> print(test)
> print(test[Fruit('banana')])
>
> # prints:
> # {Fruit(banana): 'one', Fruit(banana): 'two'}
> # Traceback (most recent call last):
> #   File "hash.py", line 25, in <module>
> #     print(test[Fruit('banana')])
> # KeyError: Fruit(banana)

ah! not so: that's because you are messing/changing the integer value
for the key. If apple-object was returning 10, you can't then return 20
(the text mangling seems to be completely irrelevant except you need it
to figure out which integer to return but barring that..).

Here's an example of what you're doing (note 'fly' is returning 20 BUT
the object-instance is 'apple' - that obviously won't work and has
nothing to do with my Q, err.. (don't mean to be rude):
class Fruit(object):
    def __init__(self, text):
        self.text = text

    def mangle(self,text):
        self.text = text

    def __hash__(self):
        if 'apple' in self.text:
            return 10
        elif 'orange' in self.text:
            return 20
        elif 'fly' in self.text:
            return 20
        else:
            pass

apple = Fruit('apple')
orange = Fruit('orange')

d = { apple : 'APPLE_VALUE', orange : 'ORANGE_VALUE' }
print d

apple.mangle('fly')
print d[apple]

The Question is specific.. what I'm saying is that you can change
attributes and the contents and totally mash the object up, so long as
__hash__ returns the same integer for the same object. Correct?

Where does __eq__ fit in all this?