A Rebuttal For Python 3

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Fri Nov 25 11:25:55 EST 2016

On Friday, November 25, 2016 at 3:45:37 AM UTC-5, Rustom Mody wrote:
> On Friday, November 25, 2016 at 1:27:18 AM UTC+5:30, bream... at gmail.com wrote:
> > https://eev.ee/blog/2016/11/23/a-rebuttal-for-python-3/ is one of presumably many responses to the article I posted about under the subject "The Case Against Python 3".  Enjoy :)
>
> I'd say we are living in astrological¹ times…
>
> There was a recent election…
> In a grand and famous nation
> The expletives xchanged
> Midst ppl deranged
> Let someone else complete the ditty
>
> Considering that the last lines of the article usually contain the summary of the article.  And they run as follows:
>
> |Fuck off...
> |
> | This is because you don’t know what you’re talking about, and you should shut up.
>
> I am just going to comply (unless someone explain why so much uncivility is such a great idea)

I am not a fan of incivility, but this piece is a bit unusual. As eevee
explained in his rebuttal, Zed's rant is wildly irresponsible, both on a
technical level, because a number of his claims are simply wrong; and on
a cultural level, because his audience is beginners looking to learn Python,
who will not have the technical skill to understand how misleading and
irresponsible his arguments are.

On a second level, Zed has made a name for himself online as a controversial
figure, using abusive language and stances to gain attention.  His piece
here is actually quite calm compared to some of his writing.  But I'm OK
with eevee using Zed's techniques against him, especially after calmly
and logically dismantling the arguments.

--Ned.
against Python 3 is