Options for stdin and stdout when using pdb debugger

Robert Snoeberger robert.snoeberger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 11:32:33 EST 2016

I would like to use pdb in an application where it isn't possible to use sys.stdin for input. I've read in the documentation for pdb.Pdb that a file object can be used instead of sys.stdin. Unfortunately, I'm not clear about my options for the file object.

I've looked at rpdb on PyPI, which re-routes stdin and stdout to a socket handler. I can connect to the socket with telnet. This works well.

I'm just curious if there are other options?

Thank you!